Skip Navigation
About /

Carroll's Namesake

John Carroll was born in Upper Marlborough, Maryland on January 8, 1735. After being educated in Europe, he joined the Jesuit order there in 1753. He returned to America in 1774, and joined the cause for American independence. His cousin Charles was a signer of the Declaration of Independence in 1776, and his brother Daniel signed the United States Constitution in 1787.

In 1784, John Carroll was appointed Superior of the Mission for the new American Republic upon the recommendation of Dr. Benjamin Franklin. He became the first bishop in the United States in 1789, when Pope Pius VI confirmed him as the Bishop of Baltimore. He founded both Georgetown University and St. Mary's Seminary in 1791. In 1808, Pope Pius VII elevated John Carroll to Archbishop. Archbishop John Carroll died on December 3, 1815, and is buried in Baltimore.

Historical Highlights

1960s
  • Fr. Victor Ries selected as Carroll's first Principal
  • Doors were opened to Carroll students for the first time on September 6, 1961
  • Beginning of school clubs and other extracurricular activities
  • Establishment of the Carroll Boosters
  • First awards assembly
  • Initiation of competitive athletic history in the Greater Dayton League
  • Drive to increase the number of books in the school library
  • Elections for Carroll's first Student Council
  • First pep rally
  • Gradual move to coed classes
  • Increase in the number of lay faculty
  • First prom
  • First induction of National Honor Society members
  • First sports banquet
  • Publishing of the first school paper, The Torch, in the spring of 1964
  • First graduation held at NCR Auditorium on May 31, 1965
  • First Homecoming Week
  • The first official ringing of the Victory bell, May 24, 1966, for a varsity athletic victory
  • Fr. Stanley Neiheisel selected as Carroll's second Principal
1970s
  • Dedication of Patriot Stadium in 1971
  • 1971 was the first undefeated season for a varsity football team
  • New band room and wrestling room additions to the original building were opened in 1973
  • Fr. Robert Obermeyer selected as Carroll's third Principal
  • Start of soccer on the varsity level in 1975
  • The 1975 - 1976 Band and Drill teams were honored by Senator John Glenn when he asked them to represent the state of Ohio in Washington, D.C. This occurred on Ohio's Day during the United States of America's bicentennial celebration
  • The first major renovation of St. John The Evangelist Chapel
  • Mr. Charles Eckhardt selected as Carroll's fourth Principal
1980s
  • Archbishop Joseph Bernardin joined the Carroll community for a concelebrated Thanksgiving liturgy
  • The 1980-81 soccer team brought Carroll its first State Championship
  • Athletes began competition in the Western Ohio League in the fall of 1982
  • Mr. Joseph Sens selected as Carroll's fifth Principal
  • The 1983-84 Marching Patriot band members were the Grand Champions of the Marching Bands of America National Finals in Johnson City, Tennessee, and represented Carroll and the Dayton community in the 1984 Orange Bowl Parade. They placed eighth overall throughout the nation.
  • Official establishment of the Alumni Association
  • Computer labs added, increasing the use of new technologies in the curriculum
  • Athletes began competition in the Mid Miami League in the fall of 1987
  • The 1989 - 1990 Carroll Winter Guard won the State Champion title
1990s
  • Seven period day introduced in the 1993 - 1994 school year
  • Legacy of Excellence Capital Campaign established in 1994
  • Continued growth in enrollment
  • Carroll’s Winter Guard received the highest placements and scores in the history of Carroll guards in the early to mid 90s. In 1991-92, they placed fourth out of fifteen finalist guards at the Winter Guard International World Championships. In 1993-94 and 1994-95, they placed third in the country in this same world-class competition.
  • Updating and expansion of computer rooms
  • New walkway and landscaping added to the main entrance
  • Renovation of St. John the Evangelist Chapel in 1998
  • Addition of a new wrestling room, weightlifting facility, and industrial arts room
  • Physical campus and parking improvements
2000s
  • Building of the Marian Shrine on the school grounds
  • Continued expansion of technology, including labs and workstations
  • Wireless computer network installed
  • Teachers equipped with laptop computers
  • Completion of Phase 1 of the new building addition
  • Continued consecutive wins of the Mid Miami League All Sports Banner
  • 2008-2009 Men's State Soccer Champs
2010s
  • 2010-2011 Men's State Soccer Champs
  • 2010-2011 Women's State Basketball Runners-up
  • Mr. Matthew Sableski '91 selected as Carroll's sixth Principal
  • 50th anniversary of the first day of classes on September 6, 2011
  • 2011-2012 Men's State Soccer Champs
  • 2012-2013 Men's State Soccer Champs
  • Establishment of the House System at the start of the 2016-2017 Academic Year
  • Renovation of St. John the Evangelist Chapel and rededication ceremony on November 27, 2016
  • Foundation for the Future: The Campaign for Carroll High School capital campaign established in 2018
  • 2018-2019 Women's State Basketball Runners-up
  • Spoerl-Bartlett Field Dedication Ceremony on September 6, 2019
COVID-19